vainsy

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018
Hi Guys,

I am about to build a brand new gaming pc, I am going pretty high-end and am currently just waiting for the arrival of the RTX 3000 series (or whatever it is going to be called).

The rest of my build consists of a 10900K, MSI Z490 Tomahawk and a NZXT X63 Kraken cooler.

Since I am getting the 'K' variant I would like to do some overclocking (also just think its really cool).

As I haven't properly overclocked my CPU before I was wondering if anyone had some experience with this board-cpu-cooler combo and was able to give me some pointers on some of the BIOS settings and values that I should change to get a stable overclock. Doesn't have to be anything crazy as I don't really want to jeopardize the life-span of the CPU but I was hoping to possibly reach a 5Ghz all core overclock.

**Also I know I said that I am looking for someone with this particular board-cpu-cooler combo or close to it but I would also greatly appreciate any other advice as I know that the overclocking process can be fairly similar across different boards.

Thanks in advance!

Vainsy

Solution
If you want to have a fun overclocking experience, get a 10700K - or better yet, the 10600K.
Get a 10900K, thinking you're going to overclock the crap out of it... not happening. This cpu's in pretty much the same boat as the Ryzen 3000 cpus, and it also has the exclusive Thermal Velocity Boost feature as well.
It's already been pushed to the limit out of the box, so there's not much steam left... the 10900K looks to be the limit of what 14nm Skylake can do.
It's also more difficult to produce; if the silicon doesn't meet Intel's requirements of 10900K dies, then they get relegated to 10900, 10850K, 10700K, and so on.

Oh! I can't forget this: you can forget about even attempting overclocking a 10900K with just a 280mm AIO...
Once you...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If you want to have a fun overclocking experience, get a 10700K - or better yet, the 10600K.
Get a 10900K, thinking you're going to overclock the crap out of it... not happening. This cpu's in pretty much the same boat as the Ryzen 3000 cpus, and it also has the exclusive Thermal Velocity Boost feature as well.
It's already been pushed to the limit out of the box, so there's not much steam left... the 10900K looks to be the limit of what 14nm Skylake can do.
It's also more difficult to produce; if the silicon doesn't meet Intel's requirements of 10900K dies, then they get relegated to 10900, 10850K, 10700K, and so on.

Oh! I can't forget this: you can forget about even attempting overclocking a 10900K with just a 280mm AIO...
Once you lift those power limits and stress test for stability = :hot: That sucker's pushing 300-ish watts!

Solution

vainsy

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018

Once you lift those power limits and stress test for stability = :hot:That sucker's pushing 300-ish watts!
But do you think that a 280mm AIO would be fine for 10700K or 10900K with no OC?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
But do you think that a 280mm AIO would be fine for 10700K or 10900K with no OC?
Yes.
View: https://imgur.com/YwqWtBb

That there's the power tables for the 10th gen cpus.
PL1(power limit) is for all threads under load at base frequency only.
PL2 is for all threads to hit those boost clocks.
Tau is the duration(seconds) the cpu is allowed to run at PL2 before it's forced back down to PL1. This is great for short, bursty workloads, but for constant, extended loads, once Tau is up, the cpu will be stuck at PL1 until the task is ended.

vainsy

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018
Yes.
View: https://imgur.com/YwqWtBb

That there's the power tables for the 10th gen cpus.
PL1(power limit) is for all threads under load at base frequency only.
PL2 is for all threads to hit those boost clocks.
Tau is the duration(seconds) the cpu is allowed to run at PL2 before it's forced back down to PL1. This is great for short, bursty workloads, but for constant, extended loads, once Tau is up, the cpu will be stuck at PL1 until the task is ended.
Wow! Thanks so much for your help! Much appreciated!