vainsy

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018
Hi Guys,

I am about to build a brand new gaming pc, I am going pretty high-end and am currently just waiting for the arrival of the RTX 3000 series (or whatever it is going to be called).

For my CPU I was looking at getting an Intel i9-10900K. However, as I am sure most of you are aware, they are pretty much out of stock everywhere. Or at least they are in my area (Melbourne, Australia).

Hence, I am concerned that the stores may not re-stock by the time I want to build. But, I have noticed that both the 10900KF and 10700K are comfortably in stock.

So, I was wondering had any advice/opinion/experience on the 10900KF as I heard that people were not getting the same performance out of the 9900KF vs. 9900K last year, when theoretically they should perform the same. Also wondering if people think its bad idea getting a CPU with no i-GPU due to possible trouble shooting and that I should just get a 10700K if I cannot get my hands on a 10900K.

Cheers,

Vainsy

Solution
You ask some very good questions.

A i9-10900K or KF is going to be the strongest.
I would buy the K if possible, it will let you run until you get a graphics card.
But, as you say, the 10900K is hard to find.
I read of no reason why the KF would not perform just as well, but you will need an interim graphics card.
I do not like interim solutions unless you have a use for such an interim graphics card.
Then, there is the question of performance.
It seems that the lesser i7-10700K will do all you want for gaming.
Most games do not make effective use of more than 4-6 threads. ( multiplayer games excepting)

Thinking about it, if I wanted the ultimate, I would buy the KF now along with a discrete interim graphics card.
You will then...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi Guys,

I am about to build a brand new gaming pc, I am going pretty high-end and am currently just waiting for the arrival of the RTX 3000 series (or whatever it is going to be called).

For my CPU I was looking at getting an Intel i9-10900K. However, as I am sure most of you are aware, they are pretty much out of stock everywhere. Or at least they are in my area (Melbourne, Australia).

Hence, I am concerned that the stores may not re-stock by the time I want to build. But, I have noticed that both the 10900KF and 10700K are comfortably in stock.

So, I was wondering had any advice/opinion/experience on the 10900KF as I heard that people were not getting the same performance out of the 9900KF vs. 9900K last year, when theoretically they should perform the same. Also wondering if people think its bad idea getting a CPU with no i-GPU due to possible trouble shooting and that I should just get a 10700K if I cannot get my hands on a 10900K.

Cheers,

Vainsy
For a gaming PC the 10700K should last a long time.

I would buy the K if possible, it will let you run until you get a graphics card.
I read of no reason why the KF would not perform just as well, but you will need an interim graphics card.
I do not like interim solutions unless you have a use for such an interim graphics card.
Most games do not make effective use of more than 4-6 threads. ( multiplayer games excepting)

Thinking about it, if I wanted the ultimate, I would buy the KF now along with a discrete interim graphics card.
You will then not have any future second guessing yourself.

Reactions: max13
Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So, I was wondering had any advice/opinion/experience on the 10900KF as I heard that people were not getting the same performance out of the 9900KF vs. 9900K last year, when theoretically they should perform the same.
Well, unlike with the 9900K/KF, you're not going to be able to overclock the heck out of the 10900K/KF. What you get out of the box is pretty much it.
If overclocking was on the list, look to 10700K or 10600K instead.

I mean, 10900K/KF has the exclusive Thermal Velocity Boost, which will push the cpu to it's limit anyway without the user doing anything, save for providing adequate cooling.

vainsy

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018

You will then not have any future second guessing yourself.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but not going to buy any of the parts until the new GPU comes out, so won't have to worry about an interim card, unless I see a 10900K in stock somewhere I will quickly snap it up haha. But thanks for your help! Worst case scenario I will go for 10900KF I think.