Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2021
Hi there fellow gamers and computer enthusiasts.

I've been having a gaming PC with an i9-9900K, RTX 2080 Ti and 32GB of RAM for 1 year and 4 months now and I never changed it's thermal paste.

Aside from this, like 2 months ago the rear case fan, the one which takes out the air which my Noctua NH-D15 expulses started to make noise, it's pretty loud sometimes. Maybe a Noctua for the 9900K wasn't the best choice?

I ordered the PC to be built by the shop technicians. My case is a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X

The other thing is that when I play Fortnite (I only played a few times) the game completely crashes when I'm playing for about 10 minutes, the system doesn't although. This doesn't happen to me with any other esports game like dota, csgo, lol, starcraft... and I have all them settings at lowest, no antialiasing, no vsync nothing, at 1080p

May this be an issue with Fortnite and not from my system? I've seen lots of recent posts, messages and videos about people having crashes on PC with Fortnite.

I also tested my GPU and CPU for a while with Unigine Heaven and PerformanceTEST from PassMark Software with no issues.

It's clean from dust and when I took out the Noctua I noticed the termal paste was pretty dry, there wasn't much left but I had no paste at home so I put it back on.

I also tried to put some oil into the fan bearing which makes noise but I had to break the plastic covering it and I tried as I saw on a video but with no success so I left it as it was, it still makes noise when the CPU gets hot (I suppose).

Ok so sorry for the long text and I hope you can help me, thank you!

Thunder

Please run a Userbenchmark and post a link to the results.

Have you fully uninstalled and reinstalled Fortnite? How good is your internet connectivity?
Noctua fans are some of the best PC fans you can get, but even the best can fail. You can actually damage it more by putting the wrong oil in the wrong spots. Don't try to fix it - just get a new one.
Can your system run Realbench for 30 mins (with half your memory selected)?

Feb 13, 2021
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/39788957

Yes, I fully uninstalled and reinstalled Fortnite a couple of times. My internet connectivity is good, I have 600MB optic fiber and low ping on all my games.
I may get a new Phanteks fan, it's still covered by warranty but I should take it out (which I don't feel very safe about doing it) or send the full PC (which I should protect perfectly and is very big, bulky and heavy, it cost me 3000€)
I'm going to test my rig now with Realbench for 30 mins with half my memory.

Thank you for your help. :)
Please run a Userbenchmark and post a link to the results.

Have you fully uninstalled and reinstalled Fortnite? How good is your internet connectivity?
Noctua fans are some of the best PC fans you can get, but even the best can fail. You can actually damage it more by putting the wrong oil in the wrong spots. Don't try to fix it - just get a new one.
Can your system run Realbench for 30 mins (with half your memory selected)?

Why the down vote??? It seemed as if you were asking whether you should do it yourself or send the whole PC in.
If you don't want to do it, fine, but don't down vote just because you don't 'like' my answer. PC case fans are usually 4 screws and a 3 or 4-pin fan connector. I taught my 11-year-old nephew how to install a case fan in under 5 minutes.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It is a super bad idea to remove and then mount a CPU on old paste. Best Buy, computer shop, WalMart (might even) have some. You could have Amazon have it to you in a couple of days across much of the US.
While you are ordering that, measure your rear fan and get a new one. If you set the computer on a table, take off the side panels, unscrew the four screws holding the fan to the case and gently pull it away you should see how the wire is routed to the fan header and or controller. SUPER easy thing to do.

Reactions: alceryes

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Removed by mod

Why? Because we are suggesting that you actually take five minutes of your time to do something that is really really easy? I mean, if you are confident enough to pull a CPU cooler, a case fan is "falling over" easy in comparison.

Going around downvoting good advice because it's not what you want to hear is crappy, by the way.

If it's too hard for you to consider then I suggest you pick the computer up, take it to a service center and pay a professional to do so. Hold on to your wallet....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: alceryes
Status
Not open for further replies.