Jul 29, 2021
I am at a total loss. I built my PC less than a year ago and a couple weeks ago, it starting performing very poorly and restarting every minute or so. Eventually I got a BSOD. Error code was Critical System Failure I believe. After trying system restore and startup repair, nothing worked. I kept getting a BSOD every time I turned on my PC. I re-installed windows 10, and haven't had BSOD yet.

However, my issue is that my temps are at a constant ~70° C. Maybe 50-60° at idle. That seems incredibly high to me, and it goes into the 90s when gaming (which I haven't done since seeing that temp).

I've made sure my pump was working properly, adjusted fan settings, and tried everything I know how to do, or could find readily online. Is it possible my CPU is just at the end of its life since it was running at 90+ temps for long periods of time? (I'm assuming, before the first crash when I wasn't monitoring it.) Or is it absolutely a cooling issue?

I've also re-applied thermal paste and re-seated the pump twice, to no avail.

My AIO is a MSI Coreliquid 240r if that helps.

Thanks in advance, any help is much appreciated.

Solution
Could you configure all of your case fans on one end of the case to be all pushing air out. Preferably the side with the most fans. It's best to have more air being pushed out than in.

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
  1. What are your specs including PSU?
  2. When was the last time you applied thermal paste to your CPU?
  3. When you said a lot of airflow, did you make sure that more fans are pulling air out of your PC than into it?

Jul 29, 2021
  1. What are your specs including PSU?
  2. When was the last time you applied thermal paste to your CPU?
  3. When you said a lot of airflow, did you make sure that more fans are pulling air out of your PC than into it?
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

ASROCK B550M Pro4

16gb DDR4 3600 memory

EVGA Geforce RTX 2060

PSU - Thermaltake Smartseries 700W

Last time I re-applied thermal paste was about 2 weeks ago

As for fans, my radiator fans are pushing air in and my case fans are exhausting. I've also tried reconfiguring them a couple of times and it is now better than it was.

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Could you configure all of your case fans on one end of the case to be all pushing air out. Preferably the side with the most fans. It's best to have more air being pushed out than in.

Solution
Thank you! I installed my stock fan and my temps almost halved. I must have possibly not hooked my AIO correctly, or maybe it's faulty? Anyways, I'm going to stick to the stock one for a while, thank you so much for the suggestion.

No worries, glad you've managed to identify the problem. I'd guess the AIO has probably given up because you seem competent enough, as you've mounted the air cooler correctly, and you re-seated the AIO cooler twice already.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My AIO is a MSI Coreliquid 240r if that helps.
How were you mounting this?
Exhibit A:
iu

Exhibit B:
iu

If the answer is A, is it possible to do it like B, or is the tubing not long enough?