Mr Helix

Honorable
Jun 29, 2017
Hello! I am in need of an upgrade, i currently have:
i5 3470,
16 gb DDR3 1600 Mhz
1060 3gb
500 watt 80 plus PSU

i already know what i want to buy so i want to know what professionals think so let me know.
new MOBO: ASUS Prime H610M-E D4
CPU: i5 12400F.
RAM: DDR4 16 GB (2X8 3200 MHZ) CORSAIR RBG PRO

I have been saving up for a long time now so my budget is tight, for now i was thinking of keeping GPU and somewhere in the future i will start working and in the end i will save up for MSI RTX 3050 8 GB Ventus 2X OC. And i think this build will last for long time i guess, let me know what you guys think! thank you in advance!

Mr Helix

Honorable
Jun 29, 2017
My only concern I have is your PSU

Processor Base Power 65 W - Maximum Turbo Power 117 W
Video Card about 120 W and main board/ram about 50-60w
that tallies to 300W on an old PSU.

Just food for though otherwise looks good
So i have to get a new psu aswell? the current one is not enough..? thanks for your input by the way.

Mr Helix

Honorable
Jun 29, 2017
My only concern I have is your PSU

Processor Base Power 65 W - Maximum Turbo Power 117 W
Video Card about 120 W and main board/ram about 50-60w
that tallies to 300W on an old PSU.

Just food for though otherwise looks good
I Mean , if you're talking about RTX card, i am planning to upgrade psu with it, but not right now, in the future, when i will plan to buy rtx.
500 watt 80 plus will not be enough for i5 12400f? and 16 gb ddr4 3200 mhz?
and gtx 1060? :(

I Mean , if you're talking about RTX card, i am planning to upgrade psu with it, but not right now, in the future, when i will plan to buy rtx.
500 watt 80 plus will not be enough for i5 12400f? and 16 gb ddr4 3200 mhz?
and gtx 1060? :(

no I said the Cpu/Motherboard/ram/Video your looking at will use 300W on an older 500W PSu.
but you will upgrade later.. so that is good.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have a working cpu and working ram. Sell them. As long as it's for more than the cost to ship them, bonus. And consider you are in Georgia, so the used market for 16Gb of DDR3 1600 might be slightly better than in the US, as is the market for a respectable i5 for someone to move up from the i3-3220, which was very common in many prebuilts.

Might not get much, but something back is better than nothing.

Either way, considering budget restraints, the proposed parts are very acceptable, my only quirk being the 12400F, you'd be better off with the 12400, which will still get you an igpu that's adequate for general pc use, if your gpu either dies or you get the opportunity to sell it before you can upgrade it and the psu.

Mr Helix

Honorable
Jun 29, 2017
You have a working cpu and working ram. Sell them. As long as it's for more than the cost to ship them, bonus. And consider you are in Georgia, so the used market for 16Gb of DDR3 1600 might be slightly better than in the US, as is the market for a respectable i5 for someone to move up from the i3-3220, which was very common in many prebuilts.

Might not get much, but something back is better than nothing.

Either way, considering budget restraints, the proposed parts are very acceptable, my only quirk being the 12400F, you'd be better off with the 12400, which will still get you an igpu that's adequate for general pc use, if your gpu either dies or you get the opportunity to sell it before you can upgrade it and the psu.
Thank you! Yes i already calculated everything including money i can get from the old parts,
About selling you see, if i put something up especially ddr3 ram, it will take eternity to find a buyer, so i am just going to sell it back to the store i bough them at, well for their prices of course, also the reason that i am in a hurry is cause they have some sales going on with the parts that i want to buy, so..
And about 12400 without an F it costs like more... Like 700+ gel, thats like ram, mobo and ssd that i want to buy, where F costs 500
Oh also i wanted to ask about an SSD, is apacer a good ssd? Or should i get kingston, theyre both cheap so..

General rule of thumb is that "modern" PSU platforms are 450W/550W/650W/etc.
If you can swing it, just getting a new PSU now wouldn't be a bad idea. Is the existing one going to explode with a different CPU....probably not.

The pic below is your PSU. See the wattage on the +12V rail? 456W. Every meaningful thing in your PC runs on +12V
03.jpg

Mr Helix

Honorable
Jun 29, 2017
You're probably better off just using the included Intel cooler than spend $$ on that.

Is there a website you're shopping on?
Well i use different shops, cause some have cheaper parts, or some don't have the one i'm looking for, so these are:
Ultra.ge
pcroom.ge
itworks.ge
i'm planning to buy cpu from itworks, then cpu cooler from ultra, and the rest at pcroom.

Mr Helix

Honorable
Jun 29, 2017
i5-12400F = ₾525
Asus H610M-E = ₾335
DDR4-3600 = ₾240

That right?

Honestly that's the cheapest parts you can select. So not much to improve upon here.

Use the included Intel heatsink for now.
Yes, those, about the heatsink... I Don't think they include the default one, Cause when my friend bought one they just gave him the cpu only, they just have expensive ones just to make you pay more i guess, also won't the default intel cooler be weak for the cpu?
And also about the PSUs, how about DEEP COOL Dn 650 Watt 80 plus?
or ZALMAN 650W 230V 80 Bronze - ZM650-GVII

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yes, those, about the heatsink... I Don't think they include the default one, Cause when my friend bought one they just gave him the cpu only, they just have expensive ones just to make you pay more i guess, also won't the default intel cooler be weak for the cpu?
And also about the PSUs, how about DEEP COOL Dn 650 Watt 80 plus?
or ZALMAN 650W 230V 80 Bronze - ZM650-GVII

None of these are particularly good. The question is, what's the long-term GPU plan? These are both below the quality I'd recommend for even a 3050 build. Anything that doesn't have a +12V rail within 1% of the total output should be immediately crossed off the list for anything but a basic office rig.

On pcroom, PSUs don't get actually worth spending money on until you get to the Chieftec Proton and the ASUS Tuf. Now, these are hardly great PSUs, but they're acceptable entry-level PSUs with a low power GPU in a way that the most Deepcools and Zalmans are not.

Mr Helix

Honorable
Jun 29, 2017
None of these are particularly good. The question is, what's the long-term GPU plan? These are both below the quality I'd recommend for even a 3050 build. Anything that doesn't have a +12V rail within 1% of the total output should be immediately crossed off the list for anything but a basic office rig.

On pcroom, PSUs don't get actually worth spending money on until you get to the Chieftec Proton and the ASUS Tuf. Now, these are hardly great PSUs, but they're acceptable entry-level PSUs with a low power GPU in a way that the most Deepcools and Zalmans are not.
I Am so lost, so what do you guys suggest..?

Mr Helix

Honorable
Jun 29, 2017
Neither of the 650W you named are good choices. It's not just a question of wattage. A mediocre 650W choice (like the Chieftec Proton or ASUS Tuf) is a far better choice than a junk-tier 650W (the two you named).

A competent, safe PSU is going to cost a bit more.

AND

ANY GOOD???
if not im gonna go end myself :kikou:

Last edited:
Seems like the Chieftec Polaris is the best of those choices. The Proton is fine also.

Chieftec....(shudder) didn't know they were still in business

2 year warranty. Haha. Inspires confidence. (most "good" PSUs will have 5-10 year warranties)

Last edited: