Anguxilion

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2015
I don't know what exactly is going on, about a week a go, I started to get errors on games, i mean, it was literaly working fine, and then boom, everything stopped working, no matter what I play, demanding or not, I can't play, all games start, and in 40 sec or 1 min, the image freezes completly or turns to black screen and i can't do anything, sound keeps running, and i have to ctrl alt del to force quit the game. everything else is working fine i guess. multi monitor, programs, videos, software like zbrush, etc, but not games.
I tested those games with my integrated gpu and worked fine, it didin't crash, so i guess is something with my gpu.
I've already tried:

*cleaned everything, pci e socket, psu cable, gpu
*changing gpu thermal paste
*cleaning drivers with DDU and reinstalling, normal and DCH ones
*restoring my bios to default
*underclock
*check temperatures (those are fine)
*I've used TechPowerUp GPU-Z to see if there was something strange and there's nothing.
*i've tried unpluging all monitors and use only 1 and it didin't change anything

none of those games showed graphic artifacts, the only strange thing that i saw it was on metro last light, that just beofre it freezes, there was a few black dots on screen.

what else can i do? or what software can i use to see if there is something wrong?
is it possible to be a windows 10 problem?

i have this rig since a few years and i have no money at this moment, so RMA or buying another one isn't an option right now

GPU: EVGA GTX 760sc 2gb DDR5

-sorry for my bad english i hope you can understand what i wanted to say, thank you for reading/helping-

Jul 20, 2019
Check task manager and see what applications are open in the background if you do go through them and close the unnecessary ones then it might just be that you don't have enough RAM

Anguxilion

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2015
I have run into same problem many time
But after reinstalling drivers
It works fine
In your case i think your gpu is done for,
Your gpu dont need any additional power supply from psu. So it is not fault of your psu,
I am certain that you gpu is near dead,
Go to store with your system .
oh dear, this is going to hurt tomorrow

Most likely it's going to be a GPU issue...but it is also possible your power supply is going bad. Using the integrated graphics on the cpu doesn't really help you determine if it's the GPU or power supply since it pulls much less power than a separate GPU it won't put the power supply under a full load. Try and borrow a GPU if possible to prove it one way or the other.

Anguxilion

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2015
The above poster was totally incorrect.
Your video card needs a 6 pin and 8pin PCI-E power connector.
The 2 most possible problems are failing power supply or Video card overheating.
Please post FULL system specs, and EXACT power supply model.

Intel cire i5-4590
ram x2 8gb ddr3 2400mhz corsair vengeance
Evga gtx 760sc 2gb ddr5
psu sentey snp500-hs steel nitro power 80plus 500w

(i'm aware of the pciepower connectors, the psu comes with a 6p and i used an adapter from molex to 8p)

Anguxilion

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2015
Most likely it's going to be a GPU issue...but it is also possible your power supply is going bad. Using the integrated graphics on the cpu doesn't really help you determine if it's the GPU or power supply since it pulls much less power than a separate GPU it won't put the power supply under a full load. Try and borrow a GPU if possible to prove it one way or the other.
what kind of gpu? a 50 series without connectors to psu? or could be any?

Anguxilion

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2015
Most of the SENTEY PSUs are junk, and of very poor quality, if not all. Depends on the OEM of that particular unit. But avoid using this PSU on any gaming PC. SENTEY PSUs usually have poor voltage regulation and ripple as well.

I'm skeptical about the build quality of that power supply unit. PSU is the last component you might want to cheap out on, or skimp.

Try to get some other high quality PSU, IF possible. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system. Don't SKIMP on the PSU,, since this is the MOST important PC component. I can't stress this enough.

Btw, this PSU list is NOT exhaustive, nor 100% accurate though, but at least it gives us some idea about the brand reputation, in the hierarchy list..BUT, make a note though. Despite Seasonic, XFX listed under the "arguably best brands" category by me, they have had pretty poor quality units as well. like the XT series, and SeaSonic S12II Series. There are more exceptions though...

Pretty much all PSU manufacturers sell good and bad power supplies.

PSU brands to never buy from

• Diablotek
  • Chieftech
  • Circle
  • Sharkoon
  • Youngbear
  • Powercool
  • Rocketfish
  • Rave
  • Linkworld
  • Shuttle
  • Skyhawk
  • Foxconn
  • Wintech
  • Winpower
  • Apevia
  • Coolmax
  • Logisys
  • Sparkle
  • Raidmax
  • Zalman
  • Diablotek
  • Xilence
  • Tacens
  • iBALL
  • Zebronics.
  • Logisys.

• Average PSU brands (Not deadly but I would avoid them)
  • NZXT
  • Enermax
  • Cougar
  • Bitfenix
Good PSU brands (These psu brands have decent-great PSUs, but also have a few outliers)
  • EVGA----I would list this manufacturer under "arguably" the best tier list as well.
  • Corsair
  • Antec
  • Cooler master
  • Be quiet!
  • Fractal Design
  • SilverStone
  • FSP.
Arguably the best brands, but that's a slight exaggeration..
  • Seasonic
  • XFX
  • Superflower
Conclusion
Most power supplies you buy should be fine as long as you're not pushing them to the very limits. I obviously didn't include every OEM and re-seller but I listed the main ones. Pretty much all PSU manufacturers sell good and bad power supplies, it just takes a little reviewing and forethought into your system requirements before you make a selection....

How possible that this problem is my psu dying instead of my gpu? i mean, it survived all this time, why start * everthing up now? and why while i'm playing?

sorry for so many questions, but i really wanna know for future problems

Last edited by a moderator:
How possible that this problem is my psu dying instead of my gpu? i mean, it survived all this time, why start * everthing up now? and why while i'm playing?

I didn't say that your PSU is INDEED the full culprit here, but I was just pointing out the dangers of using that particular PSU model/brand. Cheap quality PSUs can die any time though.

Anyways, to rule all this out, can you check the GPU on some other system/PC, by using a different PSU as well, if possible ?

Intel cire i5-4590
ram x2 8gb ddr3 2400mhz corsair vengeance
Evga gtx 760sc 2gb ddr5
psu sentey snp500-hs steel nitro power 80plus 500w

(i'm aware of the pciepower connectors, the psu comes with a 6p and i used an adapter from molex to 8p)
Adaptors are never good.
A 4 pin molex is rated for 40watts of 12v.
2 0f these equals 80watts of 12v.
An 8pin PCI-E connector is supposed to supply 150watts of 12v power.
Your molex to 8pin only supplies about 55% of the power the card needs.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Jul 29, 2019
did you update your windows to 1903? if you did then we have the same problem all games would go to black screen and hear ingame sound and would lock up and i have to turn off my computer. what i did is to revert back to 1803 or 1809 that fixed my issue. i have silverstone PSU 500W 80+ white, ryzen 2600, b350 mobo from msi, rx580. the problem started when i updated my windows 10 to 1903.