xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
I am building my next gaming PC. I have done the research and have come down to 2 choices which I like. But I can't decide so I would like this community to give me some advise please. My build:
  1. i5 10600 / i5 10600K (although I don't plan on overclocking, but I have the budget so why not!)
  2. 650-700W PSU
  3. 2 Nvme SSDs
  4. 32GB 3200Mhz RAM (32gb is overkill I know, but I figured I have the budget, so why not!)

My question from this community is about the following:

1) Which Motherboard?
a) Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming
b) Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Pro AX

2) Which GPU?
I want to stick around in the 20-series Nvidia and my budget allows me to stick with the 2060 Super or 2070. Not only that, I want to stick around with this. Which brand or type of GPU?
a) Asus dual?
b) Asus ROG Strix?
c) Asus TUF?
d) Gigabyte Windforce (OC)?
e) Gigabyte Gaming OC?

Thank you kindly......

Solution
This wasn't all that long ago, for the broken board. A few months back, I believe. MSI tech support straight up lied to me, on a motherboard I bought for a friend. The top M.2 Slot didn't work, on a B550 gaming plus, and they tried to tell me it was because the top slot only supported PCI-E 4.0 drives, despite their actual product page saying otherwise. I called them out on it, and they proceeded to just ignore me, after that. Returned the board, for an exact replacement, at microcenter, and it worked as it should. I haven't had to deal with Gigabyte's CS, in a very long time, so little I can say there. I don't even remember what I even contacted them for anymore. It's been over a decade. I have had good luck with their products though...
I am building my next gaming PC. I have done the research and have come down to 2 choices which I like. But I can't decide so I would like this community to give me some advise please. My build:
  1. i5 10600 / i5 10600K (although I don't plan on overclocking, but I have the budget so why not!)
  2. 650-700W PSU
  3. 2 Nvme SSDs
  4. 32GB 3200Mhz RAM (32gb is overkill I know, but I figured I have the budget, so why not!)

1) Which Motherboard?

2) Which GPU?
I want to stick around in the 20-series Nvidia and my budget allows me to stick with the 2060 Super or 2070. Not only that, I want to stick around with this. Which brand or type of GPU?
a) Asus dual?
b) Asus ROG Strix?
c) Asus TUF?
e) Gigabyte Gaming OC?

Thank you kindly......
Well both the brand are really good and you could go with either of those and you should get the brand which you like, the aesthetic of the parts which you like however personally id go for asus mobo and gpu

Something like this below. I would totally wait until you can get your hand on a RTX 3070. The 2070 is just not worth the 500 dollars you see on pcpartpicker.com. The Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E has better VRM's. You can change both NVMe to Samsung 970 evo plus or something but they are not cheap. The 2070 is just a placeholder because the RTX 3070 is 500 dollars.

You could get a 3900X system which is close to the 10600k with a board that will suppor the new 4000 series Ryzen CPU coming out.

You could get a cheaper board and get a 10700k 8 cores instead of a 6 cores CPU.

It all depends on your budget.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor ($292.49 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($291.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($105.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $1640.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-21 07:50 EDT-0400

Last edited:

Pickachu

Prominent
Apr 15, 2019
  2. 650-700W PSU
  3. 2 Nvme SSDs

1) Which Motherboard?

2) Which GPU?
a) Asus dual?
b) Asus ROG Strix?
c) Asus TUF?
e) Gigabyte Gaming OC?

Thank you kindly......
Is it for pure gaming or something else?
What is the max budget?
Firs of all need to choose the budget+the main purpose of the pc.
After it, start to pick up the parts.

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
Something like this below. I would totally wait until you can get your hand on a RTX 3070. The 2070 is just not worth the 500 dollars you see on pcpartpicker.com. The Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E has better VRM's. You can change both NVMe to Samsung 970 evo plus or something but they are not cheap. The 2070 is just a placeholder because the RTX 3070 is 500 dollars.

You could get a 3900X system which is close to the 10600k with a board that will suppor the new 4000 series Ryzen CPU coming out.

You could get a cheaper board and get a 10700k 8 cores instead of a 6 cores CPU.

It all depends on your budget.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor ($292.49 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($291.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($105.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $1640.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-21 07:50 EDT-0400
I am from the Netherlands. My budget is €1500. This set up is good, except for the cooler I want be quiet! brand. Storage I also don't want WD Blue, but Black or Samsung like you mentioned. But otherwise good set up. Thanks for suggestions about mobo and GPU.

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
Is it for pure gaming or something else?
What is the max budget?
Firs of all need to choose the budget+the main purpose of the pc.
After it, start to pick up the parts.
Mainly 1080 gaming. My budget is €1500 (I'm from the Netherlands). But I was only asking about suggestions about which brand is preferred by people in this forum for mobo and GPU, Asus or Gigabyte?

Thank you. I am still contemplating between the 2!! I like them both :)
Then get the one which has a better price and save some bucks but it would be good if you get both of the same company and sync your rgb and id say think over your cpu i mean whether you are gonna oc because then you will have to pay for cooler to and you can save save up on your mobo too then who knows you might save some extra to get 2070/3070 and good cpu
Basically im saying spend smartly your hard earned money 😄

Reactions: gaborz13

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
Then get the one which has a better price and save some bucks but it would be good if you get both of the same company and sync your rgb and id say think over your cpu i mean whether you are gonna oc because then you will have to pay for cooler to and you can save save up on your mobo too then who knows you might save some extra to get 2070/3070 and good cpu
Basically im saying spend smartly your hard earned money 😄
Correct. I will think smart and not emotional haha

Reactions: General Kenobi

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
I am not the only mod that has had Asus issues. There was another that RMA'd a motherboard, only to receive one back that had physical damage on it.
So if I understand you correctly, their service was "bad". I've had a bad experience with their customer service here in the Netherlands with a totally faulty ROG laptop.
But.... I'm reading online that gigabyte's customer service doesn't fair better either. I was going to go with MSI, but noticed that they give 1 year warranty on their products whereas gigabyte and Asus give 3.
All of these companies are popular and make relatively good products. Why can't they bother to up their customer service skills?!!!

logainofhades

Titan
This wasn't all that long ago, for the broken board. A few months back, I believe. MSI tech support straight up lied to me, on a motherboard I bought for a friend. The top M.2 Slot didn't work, on a B550 gaming plus, and they tried to tell me it was because the top slot only supported PCI-E 4.0 drives, despite their actual product page saying otherwise. I called them out on it, and they proceeded to just ignore me, after that. Returned the board, for an exact replacement, at microcenter, and it worked as it should. I haven't had to deal with Gigabyte's CS, in a very long time, so little I can say there. I don't even remember what I even contacted them for anymore. It's been over a decade. I have had good luck with their products though, over the years, when I have used them. My last board was an Asus, and before that Asrock, so I target what fits my needs, at the time. My Gigabyte x570 itx was such a purchase. I have just written off Asus, and now MSI, for my personal use.

Solution

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
This wasn't all that long ago, for the broken board. A few months back, I believe. MSI tech support straight up lied to me, on a motherboard I bought for a friend. The top M.2 Slot didn't work, on a B550 gaming plus, and they tried to tell me it was because the top slot only supported PCI-E 4.0 drives, despite their actual product page saying otherwise. I called them out on it, and they proceeded to just ignore me, after that. Returned the board, for an exact replacement, at microcenter, and it worked as it should. I haven't had to deal with Gigabyte's CS, in a very long time, so little I can say there. I don't even remember what I even contacted them for anymore. It's been over a decade. I have had good luck with their products though, over the years, when I have used them. My last board was an Asus, and before that Asrock, so I target what fits my needs, at the time. My Gigabyte x570 itx was such a purchase. I have just written off Asus, and now MSI, for my personal use.
So all in all, even though my heart goes with Asus, due to supposed higher quality, my mind says NO to Asus. I've had bad experience with them and I hear it here and there too.
I gotta let you know that I was turned off by MSI for 2 reasons, one being their short lived warranty of 1 year (as opposed to Asus and gigabyte's 3 years), and the other being this review by Gamer's Nexus about MSI's shady practices:

View: https://youtu.be/O6BXwCJtaZE

Personally though, the motherboard and gpu of my last build from 2014 were both gigabyte. Not even once had I a problem with either and they still run. They still work and shine!

Therefore, I have not had a personal bad experience with gigabyte, their products have been excellent for me and I am only doubting them only because I have seen several bad experiences listed by people on the internet.

Perhaps, I should go not with what my heart says but with what my mind says and stay with gigabyte.

So all in all, even though my heart goes with Asus, due to supposed higher quality, my mind says NO to Asus. I've had bad experience with them and I hear it here and there too.
I gotta let you know that I was turned off by MSI for 2 reasons, one being their short lived warranty of 1 year (as opposed to Asus and gigabyte's 3 years), and the other being this review by Gamer's Nexus about MSI's shady practices:

View: https://youtu.be/O6BXwCJtaZE

Personally though, the motherboard and gpu of my last build from 2014 were both gigabyte. Not even once had I a problem with either and they still run. They still work and shine!

Therefore, I have not had a personal bad experience with gigabyte, their products have been excellent for me and I am only doubting them only because I have seen several bad experiences listed by people on the internet.

Perhaps, I should go not with what my heart says but with what my mind says and stay with gigabyte.
Well yes at the end of the day you are going to use that pc so you should likely get the one which will give you peace of mind and keep you happy and most probably you won't regret your choices when you have considered all the aspects of your build, everyone can just give their opinion choices has to be done by you