pointblank319

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014
I got an used Asus x555l from a friend recently a the screen goes black when you disconnect the charger. She originally was told it may be a battery issue, but the laptop still projects to an external display (monitor through hdmi) when you disconnect the charger and the battery seems to be lasting fine. I've changed any power setting I could find in the power plan options, applying settings, then testing to see if the screen stays on but have found no luck. I've got the screen brightness maxed out on battery. I've changed sleep and hibernate settings to never on battery. I've also tried changing projection settings in the action center.

The battery doesn't seem to charge past 96% which furthers the question of whether it is the battery or not. The computer has had a system restore done recently, but it was having these issues before that. I've heard suggestions of removing the battery and holding the power button but this battery is internal. I've also heard letting the battery die and then recharging it may help with battery issues which is the next thing I plan to try. If that doesn't work, I'll likely open the computer to check for anything obvious internally but I'm not certain how obvious a hardware issue like this could be.

Not sure if i missed something simple or if I'm on the right track,any ideas would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Asus x555l
Windows 10 Home
Intel i7-5500u
8gb RAM
Intel HD Graphic 5500

Nov 8, 2019
I got an used Asus x555l from a friend recently a the screen goes black when you disconnect the charger. She originally was told it may be a battery issue, but the laptop still projects to an external display (monitor through hdmi) when you disconnect the charger and the battery seems to be lasting fine. I've changed any power setting I could find in the power plan options, applying settings, then testing to see if the screen stays on but have found no luck. I've got the screen brightness maxed out on battery. I've changed sleep and hibernate settings to never on battery. I've also tried changing projection settings in the action center.

The battery doesn't seem to charge past 96% which furthers the question of whether it is the battery or not. The computer has had a system restore done recently, but it was having these issues before that. I've heard suggestions of removing the battery and holding the power button but this battery is internal. I've also heard letting the battery die and then recharging it may help with battery issues which is the next thing I plan to try. If that doesn't work, I'll likely open the computer to check for anything obvious internally but I'm not certain how obvious a hardware issue like this could be.

Not sure if i missed something simple or if I'm on the right track,any ideas would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Asus x555l
Windows 10 Home
Intel i7-5500u
8gb RAM
Intel HD Graphic 5500

I Have the identical issue with the Asus x555LA ! In fact, when the power supply is taken out and the screen tilted, you can still see Windows 10 very faintly. Gona try the leave it on battery to the battery runs dry trick too.
However in BIOS which I updated, same thing happens so doubt its a windows issue.
Tried the function keys and nothing seems to help it.
Totally stumped.

Apr 14, 2020
Hey guys, any updates on a fix for this? I tried maxing everything in power settings for battery and plugged in, and made no difference. Currently doing a full factory reset. Just bought this thinking it was a simple setting issue :/

Apr 14, 2020
Done some more digging, apparently theres a coil of sorts that steps up the battery voltage only in battery mode, these fail. Unclear on where it is located though, videos I've seen are of different models