Aug 29, 2021
Hi guys,

This is my first build, and I apologize in advance for anything dumb I might say… also, sorry for the length! I am new and I’m not sure which details are relevant.

So the main issue is only the motherboard lights seem to work. Even the case fans directly connected to the PSU are not working. It may be a problem with the wiring and a million other things I’m overlooking..

My components: (I do not have a GPU yet!)
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-PLUS(WiFi)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 with Silencio Fan
PSU: XPG Core Reactor 650, 80+ Gold Modular ATX
Case: Phantex Eclipse P500, ATX Mid-Tower
- Case Fans (came with): 140mm D-RGB x3
Extra case fans: Corsair AF series 120mm Blue LED x3
Extra wires:
  • Rosewill Case Fan Splitter PWM 3,4x4 (two male, one female ends)
  • BSTQ Molex PC Case Fan Power Splitter “3 x 3-pin or 4-pin” (actual: 2-pin x3 ends to 2-pin molex end) <— I am confused whether this would work on my Corsair LED Blues since each of those have 3-pin female connections.

The 24-pin mobo is connected to PSU. The lights are turning on, but I have no indication anything else works. There is no BEEP sound at all, like everyone keeps saying there should be.

The CPU fan is not working, though I have it connected to the mobo & the 8-pin CPU connected to the PSU. Usually people say their CPU fan spins immediately after booting, then stops. Might doesn’t do that at all.

The RGB fans that came with the case are not working either. I have those plugged into the mobo on CHA_FAN1 & 2 using the Rosewill 3,4x4 fan splitter. That’s it. I’m most likely doing something stupid, like I haven’t connected the RGB portion of it or something. Please call me out if I am!

Here’s what also worries me: the Corsair case fans are connected directly to the PSU using the BSTQ Molex Power Splitter, plugged into the PSU’s 6-pin Molex cable. They’re not spinning at all, nor do the LED’s work. The fans have a female 3-pin connection, yet the Molex splitter I’m using only has 2-pin males x3. I have all 3 Corsairs plugged into that one splitter.

Those are my main concerns. If you have questions about the other connections, let me know.

Remaining components: (also using a surge protector)
Storage: Western Blue NVMe M.SSD (will be buying an HDD as well.. trying to save up money)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (8GB x2)
Extra: PCIe Adapter US-USB3.1, with USB-C

Thank you everyone in advance! Have a great week!

Solution
I figured. I don’t have a monitor quite yet. I was only hoping to see if everything works outside of anything GPU/display-related.
Do the RGB case fans require the GPU to turn on?

No, they don't.

There is another cable labeled “D-RGB Fan” hanging around with a bunch of ‘daisy chained’ connections to each fan (not sure if I’m using the proper term for daisy chain). Is that the RGB portion? I was just looking this up earlier and couldn’t find a clear answer.

Yes, that is for the RGB. D-RGB stands for Digital RGB or Addressable RGB on some motherboards. You can daisy chain those (daisy chain means to plug one of your DRGB headers into on on another fan and only need one DRGB connector to plug into your mobo.

Also, you...

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
Well to begin with, you can't expect this system to boot currently as the 3600 doesn't have integrated graphics and without a dedicated GPU, you won't be able to display anything.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Aug 29, 2021
Well to begin with, you can't expect this system to boot currently as the 3600 doesn't have integrated graphics and without a dedicated GPU, you won't be able to display anything.

I figured. I don’t have a monitor quite yet. I was only hoping to see if everything works outside of anything GPU/display-related.

Aug 29, 2021
I doubt the fan leds will work without plugging them into your mobo.

There is another cable labeled “D-RGB Fan” hanging around with a bunch of ‘daisy chained’ connections to each fan (not sure if I’m using the proper term for daisy chain). Is that the RGB portion? I was just looking this up earlier and couldn’t find a clear answer.

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021

No, they don't.

Yes, that is for the RGB. D-RGB stands for Digital RGB or Addressable RGB on some motherboards. You can daisy chain those (daisy chain means to plug one of your DRGB headers into on on another fan and only need one DRGB connector to plug into your mobo.

Also, you do realize that this is a mATX board that you're putting into an ATX case? Why not go for a ATX mobo?

Reactions: VinceG.
Solution
Aug 29, 2021
No, they don't.

Also, you do realize that this is a mATX board that you're putting into an ATX case? Why not go for a ATX mobo?

Okay, that makes sense. I was under the impression that the CHA_FAN takes care of both. Forgive my ignorance.

I bought the mATX a while back and I was pinching pennies. I believe it was mainly a cost issue. But I might upgrade it in the future. It’s been a slow process getting all the components, one per month type deal.

Also, what’s your take on the Corsair case fans? They’re not working at all even connected to PSU by the Molex adapters..

Aug 29, 2021