System32_76

Commendable
Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone!

I'm currently running Windows 10 20H2 on my Samsung 860 EVO SSD, and am trying to use my HDD as a storage drive for my apps, documents, etc;

The thing is, how do I properly move my apps and "Documents," "Downloads," "Pictures," etc. directories onto my hard drive without messing anything up?

Solution
Also, I don't have to manually redirect my desktop, "Documents", and other libraries and directories to my HDD? You said that "everything will default save to the last place you saved to."

For my apps, I remember creating two files for my apps to be installed to: "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)."
  1. Correct. All this forced redirection stuff has mostly gone by the wayside.
  2. For you applications, they should be installed on the SSD anyway. But, if you choose to install them on the HDD, it does NOT have to be in folders labeled 'Program Files' and 'Program Files(x86)'. Applications can install anywhere.

System32_76

Commendable
Jul 29, 2019
Here is a basic how-to on moving the standard locations to a secondary drive -- https://www.pcworld.com/article/2079571/move-your-libraries-to-a-second-drive-or-partition.html
When you install new software you will want to do a custom install most times to allow you to choose where to install, your SSD or your HDD.

I took a look at the article, but it seems to be a little outdated. It mentions nothing about the "Change where new content is saved" option, which is a setting that is present in Windows 10.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello everyone!

I'm currently running Windows 10 20H2 on my Samsung 860 EVO SSD, and am trying to use my HDD as a storage drive for my apps, documents, etc;

The thing is, how do I properly move my apps and "Documents," "Downloads," "Pictures," etc. directories onto my hard drive without messing anything up?
What size are these drives?

Downloads is easy. That is in the browser settings.
Other things, also easy. Software and applications have gotten really easy at working with other drives or partitions.

I used to redirect the Libraries, but that is not really needed anymore.
Just about everything will default save to the last place you saved to. Like on a different drive in a folder you created and designate.

System32_76

Commendable
Jul 29, 2019
What size are these drives?

Downloads is easy. That is in the browser settings.
Other things, also easy. Software and applications have gotten really easy at working with other drives or partitions.

I used to redirect the Libraries, but that is not really needed anymore.
Just about everything will default save to the last place you saved to. Like on a different drive in a folder you created and designate.
The SSD is 250GB, and the HDD is 1TB.

USAFRet

Titan
The SSD is 250GB, and the HDD is 1TB.
OK.

What I'm doing recently is just making a couple of folders off on the other drive, and save to that.
The next time you use that application, it will default save to that same space.
As said, I used to do the whole redirection thing. But have not seen a need for it in quite some time.

And as said, Downloads location happens in your browser settings.
My browsers save to a mapped drive in my NAS box on the other side of the room...lol

USAFRet

Titan
But, if you really really want to do the actual redirect thing, this is a tutorial I wrote some years ago for this.

USAFRet

Titan
Also, game installs.
Steam is easy.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

Other game platforms have a similar function.

System32_76

Commendable
Jul 29, 2019
OK.

What I'm doing recently is just making a couple of folders off on the other drive, and save to that.
The next time you use that application, it will default save to that same space.
As said, I used to do the whole redirection thing. But have not seen a need for it in quite some time.

And as said, Downloads location happens in your browser settings.
My browsers save to a mapped drive in my NAS box on the other side of the room...lol
Oh yeah, this was the setting that I mentioned to KaneWolf earlier:
Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I don't know if this setting is in previous Windows versions or not, but do I have to change these options here to my storage drive instead of the C drive?

USAFRet

Titan
And if you come across a tutorial that refers to doing this in Win 7...do NOT follow that for Win 10.

Win 7 & 8 were the same.
it then changed with 8.1 and 10.

Doing it the Win 7 way WILL screw up a Win 10 system.
And please please please don't follow anything that has you delve into the Registry for this. That path leads to tears.

System32_76

Commendable
Jul 29, 2019
And if you come across a tutorial that refers to doing this in Win 7...do NOT follow that for Win 10.

Win 7 & 8 were the same.
it then changed with 8.1 and 10.

Doing it the Win 7 way WILL screw up a Win 10 system.
And please please please don't follow anything that has you delve into the Registry for this. That path leads to tears.
Here are a few videos I looked at on setting up an SSD+HDD configuration in Windows 10:
How To: Optimize your SSD+HDD setup - YouTube

Boot SSD+HDD? Redirect your folders EASY - Tutorial - YouTube

Installing and setting up Windows 10 on a SSD + HDD drive configuration - YouTube (in this video, this guy redirects the desktop to his HDD)

Also, I don't have to manually redirect my desktop, "Documents", and other libraries and directories to my HDD? You said that "everything will default save to the last place you saved to."

For my apps, I remember creating two files for my apps to be installed to: "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)."

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan

2. For you applications, they should be installed on the SSD anyway. But, if you choose to install them on the HDD, it does NOT have to be in folders labeled 'Program Files' and 'Program Files(x86)'. Applications can install anywhere.

Solution

System32_76

Commendable
Jul 29, 2019
I see. Well, I think the only things I would redirect to my HDD would be my desktop because I have a folder that'll contain lots of large files that I won't be able to easily put on my SSD.
And I would also maybe redirect the "Documents" folder to the HDD because certain Steam games save stuff (like game saves, for example) to that folder.

All the other stuff, I can manually designate where to save it to.

USAFRet

Titan
I see. Well, I think the only things I would redirect to my HDD would be my desktop because I have a folder that'll contain lots of large files that I won't be able to easily put on my SSD.
And I would also maybe redirect the "Documents" folder to the HDD because certain Steam games save stuff (like game saves, for example) to that folder.

All the other stuff, I can manually designate where to save it to.
Why does that folder need to be on the desktop?

What I've found that works well is a folder on the HDD< and simply a shorcut to it on the desktop.
Instead of the actual 'redirection' thing.

System32_76

Commendable
Jul 29, 2019
Why does that folder need to be on the desktop?

What I've found that works well is a folder on the HDD< and simply a shorcut to it on the desktop.
Instead of the actual 'redirection' thing.
I have the folder on the desktop for swift access, instead of me having to open up File Explorer and manually open it up on my HDD. XD