Below are my system specs -

MOTHERBOARD (Chipset - Z370) = Asus TUF Z370 PRO gaming
CPU(Socket - LGA 1151) = i7 8700
GPU = ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Twin Fan
RAM = Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR 4
SSD = Samsung 750 evo 120GB
HDD = Seagate Barracuda(Green) ST1000DM010-2EP102 1TB
PSU = Corsair RM1000x

While playing Just Cause 4 the temps are between 80-85° Celsius(Confirmed by using Core Temp) but when I am playing Star Wars Jedi the Fallen Order the CPU temps are between 90-100° Celsius and is triggering thermal throttling(Confirmed by using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility). The temp doesn't go down below 90° Celsius throughout the game and is constantly hitting 100° Celsius.

Idle Temperatures are between 37-40° Celsius

Note - I am running the above mentioned games at 4k resolution with all the graphical settings maxed out.

I removed and applied fresh thermal paste multiple times by using the pea method, the line method and the business card method, and made sure the cooler is placed properly and yet the temperatures are still high.

CASE = Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 RGB
THERMAL PASTE = Cooler Master MasterGel
COOLER - Stock Intel Box Cooler

Here is the LINK containing photos for the following -
-How the case currently looks like
-How the CPU currently looks like with the thermal paste.
-Current BIOS settings

PLEASE HELP!!

Solution
Per your PM, you need a different cooler. There's a reason Intel doesn't include a cooler with the 8700k and while the 8700 is only a 65w part, those coolers are terrible. In fact, Intel recently recalled some processor/cooler combinations because despite them coming with them they were not good enough. I believe that is the same in this case. The cooler is simply not good enough for sustained use.

Knowing what country you are in and what you could afford to throw at a cooler would help. Knowing what case you have, how many case fans there are and what orientation EACH case fan is (Intake, exhaust) would be essential. It's possible that you simply lack adequate case airflow in order for your CPU cooler to do it's job, but that would...

darkknightadi

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
First i would recommend getting an aftermarket cooler.

Next have you changed any hardware recently? New GPU or move from 1080p to 4K? Basically anything that would make the CPU work harder?

Yes!! I previously owned a GTX 1080 and moved from 1080p to 4k with the help of my brand new RTX 2080ti which I recently purchased.

First i would recommend getting an aftermarket cooler.

Next have you changed any hardware recently? New GPU or move from 1080p to 4K? Basically anything that would make the CPU work harder?

The stock Intel cooler is pretty crap. However a good vacuuming, and reapplication of thermal paste might make a big difference. Just about ALL thermal paste dries out a little over time, making it brittle. Bumping the cooler might cause the paste to "crack" This leads to poor thermal conductivity over the cracks.

What does your case flow look like? I'm asking about the model case, # fans, size and placement. Case and fan changes can sometimes make a large difference.

Per your PM, you need a different cooler. There's a reason Intel doesn't include a cooler with the 8700k and while the 8700 is only a 65w part, those coolers are terrible. In fact, Intel recently recalled some processor/cooler combinations because despite them coming with them they were not good enough. I believe that is the same in this case. The cooler is simply not good enough for sustained use.

Knowing what country you are in and what you could afford to throw at a cooler would help. Knowing what case you have, how many case fans there are and what orientation EACH case fan is (Intake, exhaust) would be essential. It's possible that you simply lack adequate case airflow in order for your CPU cooler to do it's job, but that would still only be a part of the solution. Nobody should be running any 12 thread Intel parts without an aftermarket cooler if they are using it for gaming or long duration sustained professional application usage.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Solution

darkknightadi

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
The stock Intel cooler is pretty crap. However a good vacuuming, and reapplication of thermal paste might make a big difference. Just about ALL thermal paste dries out a little over time, making it brittle. Bumping the cooler might cause the paste to "crack" This leads to poor thermal conductivity over the cracks.

What does your case flow look like? I'm asking about the model case, # fans, size and placement. Case and fan changes can sometimes make a large difference.

I cleaned the case using a blower and reapplied thermal paste before posting this thread. It didn't work.

How do I check case flow? My case is Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 RGB. There are a total of four 120mm fans. One is at the back and the other 3 are placed in the front. I have provided a link in the original post which has photos of how my case looks, check it out.

darkknightadi

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016

Knowing what country you are in and what you could afford to throw at a cooler would help. Knowing what case you have, how many case fans there are and what orientation EACH case fan is (Intake, exhaust) would be essential. It's possible that you simply lack adequate case airflow in order for your CPU cooler to do it's job, but that would still only be a part of the solution. Nobody should be running any 12 thread Intel parts without an aftermarket cooler if they are using it for gaming or long duration sustained professional application usage.

Hmmm. I live in India and I can afford a decent amount on a cooler. My case is a Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 RGB. There are a total of four 120mm fans. One is at the back and the other 3 are placed in the front. I have provided a link in the original post which has photos of how my case looks, check it out. Also, How to check orientation of fans?

As for the aftermarket cooler I have zeroed in on Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L (RGB1.0). Will that be sufficient??

You do NOT want to go with the Ml120L or ANY of the "lite" coolers. They have a tendency towards early pump failures. They are "lite" for a reason. When a component is really cheap, you have to ask yourself WHY is it that cheap. The answer is generally because cheap or inferior parts have been used to cut costs.

Get something better. It does not have to be water cooled. Air coolers are fine. You just happen to not have a decent one. Here is my list of recommended coolers.

Below is my list of preferred CPU AIR coolers, also known as Heatsink fans (HSF).

Do not look here for recommendations on water/liquid cooling solutions. There are none to be found.

They are basically listed in order of preference, from top to bottom. To some degree that preference is based on known performance on similarly overclocked configurations, but not entirely. There are likely a couple of units that are placed closer to the top not because they offer purely better performance than another cooler which is below it, but potentially due to a variety of reasons.

One model might be placed higher than another with the same or similar performance, but has quieter or higher quality fans. It may have the same performance but a better warranty. Long term quality may be higher. It may be less expensive in some cases. Maybe it performs slightly worse, but has quieter fans and a better "fan pitch". Some fans with equal decibel levels do not "sound" like they are the same as the specific pitch heard from one fan might be less annoying than another.

In any case, these are not "tiered" and are not a 100% be all, end all ranking. They are simply MY preference when looking at coolers for a build or when making recommendations. Often, which HSF gets chosen depends on what is on this list and fits the budget or is priced right at the time due to a sale or rebate. Hopefully it will help you and you can rest assured that every cooler listed here is a model that to some degree or other is generally a quality unit which is a lot more likely to be worth the money spent on it than on many other models out there that might look to be a similarly worthwhile investment.

Certainly there are a great many other very good coolers out there, but these are models which are usually available to most anybody building a system or looking for a cooler, regardless of what part of the world they might live in. As always, professional reviews are usually an absolutely essential part of the process of finding a cooler so if you are looking at a model not listed here, I would highly recommend looking at at least two or three professional reviews first.

If you cannot find two reviews of any given cooler, it is likely either too new to have been reviewed yet or it sucked, and nobody wanted to buy one in order to review it plus the manufacturer refused to send samples out to the sites that perform reviews because they knew it would likely get bad publicity.

IMO, nobody out there is making better fans, overall, than Noctua, followed pretty closely by Thermalright. So if you intend to match case fans to the same brand on your HSF, those are pretty hard to beat. Of course, Corsair has it's Maglev fans, and those are pretty damn good too, but since they don't make CPU air cooling products, only AIO water coolers, they cannot join the party.

Noctua NH-D14 (Replace stock fans with NF-A14 industrialPPC 2000rpm)
Noctua NH-D15/D15 SE-AM4
Noctua NH-D14 (With original fans)
Thermalright Silver arrow IB-E Extreme
Phanteks PH-TC14PE (BK,BL, OR or RD)
Cryorig R1 Ultimate or Universal
Thermalright Legrand Macho RT
Deepcool Assassin III
Scythe Ninja 5
Thermalright Macho rev. C
Thermalright Macho rev.B
Scythe Mugen 5 rev.B
Be Quiet Dark rock Pro 4
Noctua NH-U14S
FSP Windale 6
Thermalright Macho (Direct, 120)
Scythe Mugen max
BeQuiet dark rock (3 or 4)
Deepcool Assassin II
Thermalright true spirit 140 (Direct, Power, BW)
Cryorig H5
Noctua NH-U12S
Phanteks PH-TC12DX (Any)
Phanteks PH-TC14S

It may not be obvious, but is probably worth mentioning, that not all cooler models will fit all CPU sockets as aftermarket coolers generally require an adapter intended for use with that socket. Some coolers that fit an AMD platform might not fit a later AMD platform, or an Intel platform. Often these coolers come with adapters for multiple types of platforms but be sure to verify that a specific cooler WILL work with your platform before purchasing one and finding out later that it will not.

darkknightadi

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
You do NOT want to go with the Ml120L or ANY of the "lite" coolers. They have a tendency towards early pump failures. They are "lite" for a reason. When a component is really cheap, you have to ask yourself WHY is it that cheap. The answer is generally because cheap or inferior parts have been used to cut costs.

Get something better. It does not have to be water cooled. Air coolers are fine. You just happen to not have a decent one. Here is my list of recommended coolers.

Below is my list of preferred CPU AIR coolers, also known as Heatsink fans (HSF).

Do not look here for recommendations on water/liquid cooling solutions. There are none to be found.

They are basically listed in order of preference, from top to bottom. To some degree that preference is based on known performance on similarly overclocked configurations, but not entirely. There are likely a couple of units that are placed closer to the top not because they offer purely better performance than another cooler which is below it, but potentially due to a variety of reasons.

One model might be placed higher than another with the same or similar performance, but has quieter or higher quality fans. It may have the same performance but a better warranty. Long term quality may be higher. It may be less expensive in some cases. Maybe it performs slightly worse, but has quieter fans and a better "fan pitch". Some fans with equal decibel levels do not "sound" like they are the same as the specific pitch heard from one fan might be less annoying than another.

In any case, these are not "tiered" and are not a 100% be all, end all ranking. They are simply MY preference when looking at coolers for a build or when making recommendations. Often, which HSF gets chosen depends on what is on this list and fits the budget or is priced right at the time due to a sale or rebate. Hopefully it will help you and you can rest assured that every cooler listed here is a model that to some degree or other is generally a quality unit which is a lot more likely to be worth the money spent on it than on many other models out there that might look to be a similarly worthwhile investment.

Certainly there are a great many other very good coolers out there, but these are models which are usually available to most anybody building a system or looking for a cooler, regardless of what part of the world they might live in. As always, professional reviews are usually an absolutely essential part of the process of finding a cooler so if you are looking at a model not listed here, I would highly recommend looking at at least two or three professional reviews first.

If you cannot find two reviews of any given cooler, it is likely either too new to have been reviewed yet or it sucked, and nobody wanted to buy one in order to review it plus the manufacturer refused to send samples out to the sites that perform reviews because they knew it would likely get bad publicity.

IMO, nobody out there is making better fans, overall, than Noctua, followed pretty closely by Thermalright. So if you intend to match case fans to the same brand on your HSF, those are pretty hard to beat. Of course, Corsair has it's Maglev fans, and those are pretty damn good too, but since they don't make CPU air cooling products, only AIO water coolers, they cannot join the party.

Noctua NH-D14 (Replace stock fans with NF-A14 industrialPPC 2000rpm)
Noctua NH-D15/D15 SE-AM4
Noctua NH-D14 (With original fans)
Thermalright Silver arrow IB-E Extreme
Phanteks PH-TC14PE (BK,BL, OR or RD)
Cryorig R1 Ultimate or Universal
Thermalright Legrand Macho RT
Deepcool Assassin III
Scythe Ninja 5
Thermalright Macho rev. C
Thermalright Macho rev.B
Scythe Mugen 5 rev.B
Be Quiet Dark rock Pro 4
Noctua NH-U14S
FSP Windale 6
Thermalright Macho (Direct, 120)
Scythe Mugen max
BeQuiet dark rock (3 or 4)
Deepcool Assassin II
Thermalright true spirit 140 (Direct, Power, BW)
Cryorig H5
Noctua NH-U12S
Phanteks PH-TC12DX (Any)
Phanteks PH-TC14S

It may not be obvious, but is probably worth mentioning, that not all cooler models will fit all CPU sockets as aftermarket coolers generally require an adapter intended for use with that socket. Some coolers that fit an AMD platform might not fit a later AMD platform, or an Intel platform. Often these coolers come with adapters for multiple types of platforms but be sure to verify that a specific cooler WILL work with your platform before purchasing one and finding out later that it will not.

You are a legend mate! After purchasing an aftermarket cooler the temp doesn't cross 76° Celsius even at stress tests. Thank you so much!!