NotsogoodwithPCs

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2015
Hello everyone!

I recently bought a prebuilt computer and wanted to upgrade the ram from 8 gb to 16gb. The RAM I decided to go with was the Corsair Vengeance (Model: CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 ) that Best Buy sold considering nothing else is really available. When I initially installed them, my computer took me directly to the BIOS saying there was an error so I decided to click on "Load optimized defaults" (hopefully that wasn't a bad thing? ) hoping that it would boot and it did, after that no problem. However, I figured they were plug and play but when I checked my speeds they were clocked down to 2133 as opposed to 3000 mHz.

My specs are:
MoBo: Gigabyte B450M DS3H WIFI
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
BIOS Version: F50A

I followed some steps online to get the speeds I did want (roughly 3000 like advertised) but now I'm a little paranoid and wanted some reassurance I'm not just doing more harm then good. A couple people around forums and such mentioned to enable XMP and see if that works. Tried that and still only got 2133. Then I tried enabling XMP, then changed the System Memory Multiplier to Level 1, and leaving the voltage on auto and sure as heck that worked. Checked Task Manager, CPUID, and CMD and they all showed 3000 minus CPUID which showed slightly under that (like 2994 mhz).

I guess what's bothering me is that on the Best Buy page, I noticed that the latency should be 15-17-17-35. After doing what I did my latency or timings appear to be at 16-17-17-35. I've never overclocked in my life and didn't mess around with any of the voltage and stuff, just followed 2 easy steps I saw on the forums and it worked. I'm just curious if my first timing being 16 could be harmful when it's supposed to be 15? Or harmful in any way whether that be performance or further. I played CoD Warzone for roughly 4 hours straight after the changes with no crashes and such. Nor have had difficulty when rebooting. I provided some imgur links from my CPUID that should hopefully help with all this. Any clarity would be super helpful please.

View: https://imgur.com/CmsJ1yA

View: https://imgur.com/Rkp53df

Last edited:

NotsogoodwithPCs

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2015
Need help figuring out if what I have is correct/the changes I made are correct.

My specs are:
MoBo: Gigabyte B450M DS3H WIFI
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
BIOS Version: F50A
Corsair Vengeance (Model: CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 )

I followed some steps online to get the speeds I did want (roughly 3000 like advertised) but now I'm a little paranoid and wanted some reassurance I'm not just doing more harm then good. A couple people around forums and such mentioned to enable XMP and see if that works. Tried that and still only got 2133. Then I tried enabling XMP, then changed the System Memory Multiplier to Level 1, and leaving the voltage on auto and sure as heck that worked. Checked Task Manager, CPUID, and CMD and they all showed 3000 minus CPUID which showed slightly under that (like 2994 mhz).

I guess what's bothering me is that on the Best Buy page, I noticed that the latency should be 15-17-17-35. After doing what I did my latency or timings appear to be at 16-17-17-35. I've never overclocked in my life and didn't mess around with any of the voltage and stuff, just followed 2 easy steps I saw on the forums and it worked. I'm just curious if my first timing being 16 could be harmful when it's supposed to be 15? Or harmful in any way whether that be performance or further. Any clarity would help please. I've been playing games on it roughly all day with no problems, just curious.

View: https://imgur.com/Rkp53df

View: https://imgur.com/CmsJ1yA

Running at 16 vs 15 is just slightly slower. I would check the specs on your ram at the manufacturer site an then manually adjust them to 15 if they are supposed to be that. Otherwise, leave them alone.

Oh, and you can't damage anything running different timings. If your system can't run that way, it will simply crash and you will need the settings to get stability again. The only exception to this is voltage. You CAN mess up modules with incorrect voltage.

NotsogoodwithPCs

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2015
Running at 16 vs 15 is just slightly slower. I would check the specs on your ram at the manufacturer site an then manually adjust them to 15 if they are supposed to be that. Otherwise, leave them alone.

Oh, and you can't damage anything running different timings. If your system can't run that way, it will simply crash and you will need the settings to get stability again. The only exception to this is voltage. You CAN mess up modules with incorrect voltage.
So everything I linked and such looks correct?

By a bit slower what do you mean, MhZ wise or? Cause CPUID shows its slightly under 3000 mhz, more so 2994 mhz.