fabimetal

Reputable
Oct 12, 2018
Hi, I wish you can help me with this weird issue. I just downloaded the new Windows 11 Pro version 22H2, installed it and after the pc restarted I noticed my second gpu was not turned on, so I decided to turn off the pc and when I turned it on, the secondary gpu fans didn't start spinning. Everything was perfectly fine before the windows update. I might say this is a hardware issue but why did this happen after a "successful" software update?

I tried to install new Nvidia drivers and checking in BIOS settings but noticed the PCIe where the second gpu is plugged is marked as an empty slot.

My specs are:

-CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
-48 GB RAM
-1st GPU: RTX 3080 Gigabyte
-2nd GPU: GTX 1660 Super MSI (which is not detected in bios and fans are not turning on)
-Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi
-PSU: 850W DeepCool Gold

I will be extremely grateful if you can help me with this please. Thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? If the update is what knocked the card out from view/sight, maybe try and perform a system restore to a point prior to the update?

I tried to install new Nvidia drivers
Please walk us through how you did this.

Also, you might be better served working with the single most powerful card in your build, as opposed to working with two mismatched GPU's.

Reactions: fabimetal

fabimetal

Reputable
Oct 12, 2018
Hi, Thanks for reply. My BIOS version is: E7B93AMS.1A0. The way I installed new Nvidia drivers was from GeForce Experience app, Express Installation (I imagined it only updated the RTX 3080 since the 1660 was not detected before and after this process).

I was thinking in rolling back to a previous version of windows 11 but I wanted to try and turn off the pc, unplug the PSU cord, hold the switch on button for 30 seconds, and also unplug a generic usb webcam that previously gave me software errors and sometimes brought the windows notification about "bad energy connection" (or something like that). After doing all that and turning back on the pc, the secondary GPU started spinning its fans finally, but at first Device Manager wasn't detecting it, which made me go to BIOS where I happily noticed that now the PCIe slot for the second gpu was detected, so I restarted the pc and now there it was the 1660 super detected in Device Manager (although after typing the PIN in order to enter desktop it showed a message saying "Unsupported Graphics Card", but everything is working fine as for now).

Btw, when you say I would be better served only with the 3080, do you really recommend me using the pc only with it? and why? I'm asking from a humble and ignorant point of view in that matter; the reason I wanted the 1660 was for secondary tasks like running Discord or other apps in order to free VRAM for the 3080. Should I keep doing that or is there a technical reason why I should only work with the 3080? Please let me know. Thank you.

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? If the update is what knocked the card out from view/sight, maybe try and perform a system restore to a point prior to the update?

I tried to install new Nvidia drivers
Please walk us through how you did this.

Also, you might be better served working with the single most powerful card in your build, as opposed to working with two mismatched GPU's.