Subham2

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2014
Recently, While I was playing a game called Ark: Survival Evolved, my APC UPS made the noise that it makes while there is no electricity for 2-3 seconds, and it returned to normal but my PC shut down and restarted. Once more after that, I started Discord and the game. And after a few minutes again the similar thing happened. I shut down the PC then and didn't investigate anything. The next day when I powered up the UPS, it was making a continuous sound. I checked the cables, and they were all right, but still; I unplugged and plugged them back. Powered it up again and the noise was still there, unplugged it again and powered it. This time it worked as usual. Started the PC and it was working fine although I didn't play any game or used any heavy software. Today I started the PC; it started normally and I opened Ark: Survival Evolved, it was working fine I was playing for a while and yet, again the same issue. The PC restarted; it's working fine now no issues yet though I haven't tested playing any game or using any heavy software.

P.S. The microphone stopped working and had to be re-inserted into the audio port every time; this happened.

Solution
Long story short, ups going bad. BUT it could be many things. I would first try to use my pc without the ups to check if it runs ok without it and rule out other things like a bad psu.
The APC buzzer signals that UPS is on battery but PC SHOULD NOT reset unless battery is dead, worn, and the front panel of the APC will tell you.

U should run a UPS test either by its management App or just by pulling the power cable, have PC sitting on the BIOS screen monitoring the voltages and nothing should move, and definitely no reset.

Reactions: Subham2

Subham2

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2014
Update:

I was unable to test the PC without running it through the UPS but will check it tomorrow. I tried running the UPS without power, although it is working, its uptime has decreased from 3-4 minutes to 1-2 minutes. Next, I played some games and, the issue did not occur while I was playing them. But afterward, when I played the games again with my friend while we were talking through Discord the crash/restart, occurred.

P.S. While scrolling through the event viewer in Windows 10 I noticed there was a critical error called 'Kernel-Power event ID 41'. And the microphone stops working every time the crash/restart happens.

Subham2

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2014
UPDATE #2:

Currently running the PC without the UPS. No crash/restart so far but still need to test more. Another thing that happened is while I powered up the PC, it went to the screen that says 'Press Del or F2 to open the BIOS'. The HDD and the CD Drive kept spinning up that they usually do before the Windows logo appears. But this time nothing happened, and the HDD and CD drive kept spinning up again and again. Finally, I shut it down using the power key, and it booted to Windows drive repair. It said, "Repairing Drive. It might take an hour". It booted up after a few minutes.

Any Ideas?

UPDATE #2:

Currently running the PC without the UPS. No crash/restart so far but still need to test more. Another thing that happened is while I powered up the PC, it went to the screen that says 'Press Del or F2 to open the BIOS'. The HDD and the CD Drive kept spinning up that they usually do before the Windows logo appears. But this time nothing happened, and the HDD and CD drive kept spinning up again and again. Finally, I shut it down using the power key, and it booted to Windows drive repair. It said, "Repairing Drive. It might take an hour". It booted up after a few minutes.

Any Ideas?
Kernel Power events just signal that there is power loss. If the power loss happened during a HDD read/write process some system files could had been corrupted. Your system didn't initially recognized the drive as a proper boot device and passed to dvd drive as a second boot priority (most probably). This has nothing to do with the UPS and your power issues. Keep testing the system without the UPS to check how it goes, it seems the UPS itself is the culprit.

Reactions: Subham2