MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
I recently got a new gaming monitor in which the hz would drop to levels of around ~70 at times while playing games. The monitor has G-Sync built in (not the compatible version) and my graphics card can be seen here.

From searching online, it seems that everyone points to the idea that the refresh rate is not affected by the graphics card. Example1; Example2; Example3. Monitors are not my expertise, but it seems as just stated hz is a property of the monitor alone, not the graphics card itself.

What really starts to confuse me however is how the refresh rate only dips only when I am launching/playing a game. If this is solely an issue of the monitor itself, how come it cares whether a game is running or not? From contacting Acer support (manufacture of my monitor), they have advised me that the graphics card also has its fair share in it's ability to affect the overall hz displayed.

My graphics card on the main game I was using to test being Minecraft, can hit upwards of 450 fps on normal settings while this hz issue still persists; so it is most certainly not an issue of lack of frames to hz. Here is a clear example of the refresh rate hitting horrendous levels just during the launch of the game, and here is a slight example of in game (frame rate was capped in this example).

My concern has become that it may be the graphics card is just not working correctly and limiting the overall hz the monitor can display, if it has any part in hz at all. This is a current issue as I am sure you are all aware, high end graphics cards seem to be a complete rarity during these times. I am hoping I can find an answer on whether or not this could be the fault of the graphics card so I know how to move forward with this issue. The rest of my specs if necessary can be seen here.

As a preface, the drivers were reinstalled and updated through Nvidia's GeForce Experience and the hz was set correctly through the graphical settings, with G-Sync enabled. I also tried it with a high quality 1.4 DisplayPort cable and ruled out the possibility of the stock one causing any type of problem.

I am really hoping someone can assist me here as I've been struggling to find answers and have gotten no information from any of the forums I have posted on. Thank you!

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Turn Gsync off and use fixed refresh rate if you want your monitor always on max Hz. Otherwise leave Gsync on so whatever frame rate achieved is portrayed on screen as they're released from the graphics card.

Load screens can sometimes show low fps so ignore what Gsync is setting refresh rate to. Alas during actually playing, frame rates will be matched to the screen's refresh rate and this is done variably. This is so you can enjoy a smoother experience even if graphics card may not utilise the monitor fully.

So in Minecraft, are you seeing 143~Hz? Should be if consistently getting over that in fps.

Reactions: MrEpix

MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
Turn Gsync off and use fixed refresh rate if you want your monitor always on max Hz. Otherwise leave Gsync on so whatever frame rate achieved is portrayed on screen as they're released from the graphics card.

Load screens can sometimes show low fps so ignore what Gsync is setting refresh rate to. Alas during actually playing, frame rates will be matched to the screen's refresh rate and this is done variably. This is so you can enjoy a smoother experience even if graphics card may not utilise the monitor fully.

So in Minecraft, are you seeing 143~Hz? Should be if consistently getting over that in fps.

Even running minecraft at a solid 160fps and it remaining a consistent 160fps if I was to cap it to said amount; the refresh rate can still dip to 70s-100s which is what is confusing me. It is not an issue with not enough frames being produced, but an issue with the refresh rate being displayed. The actual refresh rate is anything but consistent unless I set it to unlimited frames in which the 450-500fps keep it relatively consistent at 144hz with variability. I am also unable to view the refresh rate from the monitor when I turn g-sync off which makes it impossible for me to know if even that remains consistent. If you check my in game example from my post you can see it at a solid 130 as I had it capped to 130 or 140 don't recall with it hitting 100hz, although it fluctuates extremely and goes lower than that.

Last edited:

MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
Not sure if there's a utility that can monitor Hz. If monitor's own Hz osd doesn't work without Gsync then try set monitor to fixed 60 and compare that to 144.

Currently I can't do anything as acer took it back to check to see if it is a monitor issue; but I plan to try it on a separate computer to see if the issue persists on a different graphics card to narrow it down. This is of course assuming the problem isn't fixed, but I will try that as well.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If you check my in game example from my post you can see it at a solid 130 as I had it capped to 130 or 140 don't recall with it hitting 100hz, although it fluctuates extremely and goes lower than that.

If Hz is dropping way below than the actual fps you're getting in that instant then i don't know. It's certainly not what Gsync is supposed to be doing. Check Vsync options ingame that it's not set to half or similar.

MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
If Hz is dropping way below than the actual fps you're getting in that instant then i don't know. It's certainly not what Gsync is supposed to be doing. Check Vsync options ingame that it's not set to half or similar.

I had vsync turned off so I know that wasn't affecting anything. I liked minecraft as a testing environment because you can clearly set in the graphical settings that the game should be set to run at 144hz on the correct resolution. As you said and from what I've seen, g-sync shouldn't be killing off hz so I really don't understand what could be going on unless something critical is failing in the monitor or something is failing in the graphics card that everything works except it's ability to somehow keep up with hz? The connection between hz only being affected when a game is running even if fps is way over hz rate leaves me extremely confused. I wouldn't imagine the monitor cares or knows a game is being run so I feel it has to come down to the card or something deeper in the settings I am somehow oblivious too.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I had vsync turned off so I know that wasn't affecting anything. I liked minecraft as a testing environment because you can clearly set in the graphical settings that the game should be set to run at 144hz on the correct resolution. As you said and from what I've seen, g-sync shouldn't be killing off hz so I really don't understand what could be going on unless something critical is failing in the monitor or something is failing in the graphics card that everything works except it's ability to somehow keep up with hz?

Certainly. Gsync has been a brilliant experience for me with my XB270HU. Hopefully Acer responds with a found and fixed reply to you soon.

MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
Certainly. Gsync has been a brilliant experience for me with my XB270HU. Hopefully Acer responds with a found and fixed reply to you soon.

Acer just got the monitor there and it is in the repair process. I wanted to run past you an idea I thought of this morning that may explain the entire issue. I was stuck wondering how the monitor would know a game is being run in which the hz would dip and the only answer that connects games to monitor in my case is g-sync. I am near willing to bet the issue lies within the g-sync chip within the monitor itself that is causing it to stutter when it comes to hz. If g-sync is in short supposed to match refresh rate to fps, then that's the only option I can think that would be causing such major performance issues. Considering this chip is from what I've seen proprietary tech from Nvidia, I'd imagine a replace of it entirely should in theory solve my issue. I brought this to their attention and they agreed it may be the problem so hoping on a quick and easy repair.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah we came to that conclusion. If Hz is dropping despite fps being consistently higher then it must be a faulty Gsync chip inside the monitor. It's the only explanation really. There's nothing else that could affect Hz like this.

Did you let Acer know what Geforce driver version you're on? Just so testing is consistent.

Last edited:

MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
Yeah we came to that conclusion. If Hz is dropping despite fps being consistently higher then it must be a faulty Gsync chip inside the monitor. It's the only explanation really. There's nothing else that could affect Hz like this.

Did you let Acer know what Geforce driver version you're on? Just so testing is consistent.

I haven't brought that up to them but I suppose I could add that as a note. I feel that if we are right in our conclusion here then it should fail on all accounts but I suppose the driver version could have its share in issues if this is a strange unknown bug.

I highly appreciate you talking to me about this as I stated I haven't been able to find answers anywhere else, but I feel confident in our thoughts. Thank you again.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You're welcome. Hopefully it's good news, will wait in anticipation.

Sometimes drivers can cause issues such as flickering with Gsync enabled for example. Odd issues resulting in newer driver releases that may not be present in older drivers. Geforce driver feedback forum is a good source for finding out how people are fairing with particular driver versions albeit not foolproof given the vastly differing setups amongst PC users. It all should be compatible one way or another but it would be important Acer maintain consistency in their diagnosing practices. They should be.

MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
You're welcome. Hopefully it's good news, will wait in anticipation.

Sometimes drivers can cause issues such as flickering with Gsync enabled for example. Odd issues resulting in newer driver releases that may not be present in older drivers. Geforce driver feedback forum is a good source for finding out how people are fairing with particular driver versions albeit not foolproof given the vastly differing setups amongst PC users. It all should be compatible one way or another but it would be important Acer maintain consistency in their diagnosing practices. They should be.

it says that they Re-set the monitor to factory settings and they tested for an extended time and the issue was not longer present -- Acer Support

This is the response I received and the monitor is being sent back so I am not all too excited in receiving it. Maybe it was some really strange bug, but as said before if the issue persists I will test it on another card. If it fails on both, I'm just going to ask for a refund on this as I don't care to deal with it anymore.

MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
Hmm does that mean they saw the issue, reset monitor and issue is no longer?

Don't forget to try another driver if problem remains, try few versions back.

Absolutely infuriating. I decided to test it on a separate PC entirely with an entirely separate graphics card and the issue was still there clear as day. I tried the newest drivers available which are different from the previous ones I tested on, as well as trying older ones, and the issue is of course still there. The other graphics card was not as strong, but on potato graphics the hz was spazzing out while game kept consistent 350fps. They claim they factory reset it and the problem just wasn't there anymore but I know there is no way that they tested the g-sync aspect of it, even though I had passed that info along to them. I am willing to bet the testing didn't go further than seeing 144hz running on the desktop screen and they called it a day. This is the last time I ever do any business with Acer again; waited weeks and paid to have it looked at for this kind of service.

Unless there is two faulty graphics cards spazzing the hz on latest to older drivers, this is nothing but a defunct product. Multiple factors such as them telling me to pay for shipping/packaging for a faulty product ordered directly off their website to be repaired is beyond absurd. Nothing but both wasted time and money.

MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
Sorry to hear.

Hmm. What happens if you lower Hz to 60?

Same issues, I've given up and their sales refuses to pay for packaging. You should have seen how they sent it to begin with, I kept original packaging but being how poorly it was sent I don't want to use it to go back. The box was 3x the size of the box inside and they shoved another empty box inside to keep it from bouncing around. I filed a complaint with the BBB so hopefully that will give them enough motivation to pay the extra $50 for FedEx to pack it up.

Currently I'm on the hunt for the Asus PG258Q 24.5" but sadly that is sold out across every website just as graphics cards are. The sooner I can get a new monitor hopefully being that one I can put it to the real test and see if issue perists across multiple monitors as absolute solid proof it is their fault. However, it failing the test on two sepeate systems is enough evidence for me.

MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
Miserable customer service. Hopefully it's gets sorted. Keep us posted how the new monitor goes when you eventually get one.

Maybe checkout these two

VG278Q

VG279QM

Will do. The real issue is the specifications I'm searching for, as anything over 24.5" is way too big for how close I am to the monitor and I am looking for G-sync rather than the freesync riding g-sync compatible kind. Considering there's such a limited amount of g-sync monitors especially meeting those specs while not going over 1080p I have near no options. Amazon has a 24" version at 180hz in stock but the difference between the 24.5" in style/max hz jumping to 240 for a minimal price difference is way better, and I rather sit on that over the 24" one. I'll contact Asus sales later and maybe my story will be enough to convince someone someone hook me up lol.

Endre

Reputable
I recently got a new gaming monitor in which the hz would drop to levels of around ~70 at times while playing games. The monitor has G-Sync built in (not the compatible version) and my graphics card can be seen here.

From searching online, it seems that everyone points to the idea that the refresh rate is not affected by the graphics card. Example1; Example2; Example3. Monitors are not my expertise, but it seems as just stated hz is a property of the monitor alone, not the graphics card itself.

What really starts to confuse me however is how the refresh rate only dips only when I am launching/playing a game. If this is solely an issue of the monitor itself, how come it cares whether a game is running or not? From contacting Acer support (manufacture of my monitor), they have advised me that the graphics card also has its fair share in it's ability to affect the overall hz displayed.

My graphics card on the main game I was using to test being Minecraft, can hit upwards of 450 fps on normal settings while this hz issue still persists; so it is most certainly not an issue of lack of frames to hz. Here is a clear example of the refresh rate hitting horrendous levels just during the launch of the game, and here is a slight example of in game (frame rate was capped in this example).

My concern has become that it may be the graphics card is just not working correctly and limiting the overall hz the monitor can display, if it has any part in hz at all. This is a current issue as I am sure you are all aware, high end graphics cards seem to be a complete rarity during these times. I am hoping I can find an answer on whether or not this could be the fault of the graphics card so I know how to move forward with this issue. The rest of my specs if necessary can be seen here.

As a preface, the drivers were reinstalled and updated through Nvidia's GeForce Experience and the hz was set correctly through the graphical settings, with G-Sync enabled. I also tried it with a high quality 1.4 DisplayPort cable and ruled out the possibility of the stock one causing any type of problem.

I am really hoping someone can assist me here as I've been struggling to find answers and have gotten no information from any of the forums I have posted on. Thank you!

G-Sync reduces the refresh rate of the monitor in order to pair it with the FPS sent to it by the GPU.

If you want the monitor Hz to be higher in games, then you must buy a better GPU that can deliver 144 FPS; this way the monitor will run closer to that 144 Hz mark.

MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
G-Sync reduces the refresh rate of the monitor in order to pair it with the FPS sent to it by the GPU.

If you want the monitor Hz to be higher in games, then you must buy a better GPU that can deliver 144 FPS; this way the monitor will run closer to that 144 Hz mark.

Please read entire thread before giving input, or even the question I had posted in full before responding. Thanks!