Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungDNL

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
Hello everyone,

I wanted to discuss a persistent issue I've been facing with the service host state repository service on my PC for the past few months. This problem has consistently slowed down my computer to the point of it becoming almost unusable. Today, I want to share some valuable information and troubleshooting options that I have personally tried and successfully implemented. Additionally, I will provide an overview of what the service host repository service is, how it functions, and the specific issue it causes. Although I won't delve into the details of failed troubleshooting methods, I encourage you to explore them if you're interested. Most of these steps are relatively simple to execute, so you shouldn't encounter any difficulties.

What is the Service Host State Repository Service?

According to Minitool software, the Service Host State Repository Service is responsible for recording browsing information such as browsing history, the last viewed page, script and document object states, form information, and cookies. It remains active as long as your computer is running.

What is the issue?

The issue at hand involves selective spiking of CPU usage, where the CPU usage suddenly jumps to 100% for approximately 5-20 seconds. This spike in CPU usage causes the computer to freeze and experience extreme lag. This problem typically occurs when the computer is under moderate to high load, such as during gaming or browsing activities.

What is the suspected cause?

The source of this issue is most probably the Xbox Game Bar and its associated services. While there are suspicions of corrupt Windows files, the bulk of the evidence points towards the Xbox Game Bar as the main culprit. After conducting numerous trials and experiments, it has become apparent that the services linked to the Xbox Game Bar tend to significantly slow down the computer and cause the Service Host Repository Service to occupy the entirety of the CPU power.

Attempts at rectifying the issue that failed:

- Using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to perform a clean reinstall of the GPU driver.

- Updating the BIOS.

- Installing Windows updates (both Windows 10 and Windows 11).

- Reinstalling built-in Windows apps through Power Shell commands.

- Running commands such as "sfc /scannow" and "chkdsk" in Command Prompt.

- Rolling back updates and performing a local re-installation.

- Fixing and resetting Microsoft Edge.

- Running Windows auto diagnosis.

- Disabling Game Bar and Xbox features in settings.

Temporary solutions that worked:

- Disabling the Service Host State Repository Service: Disabling this service temporarily resolves the stuttering issue until it force refreshes and the problem recurs.

- Keeping the Game Bar fresh in memory: When using the Windows key + G shortcut to bring up the Game Bar, it appears to be less likely to cause stuttering or freezing when performing tasks.

Permanent solutions that solved the issue:

1. Clearing and organising existing clips: I had accumulated clips dating back to 2020, and the folder size had reached approximately 100GB. The sudden lag I experienced was a result of the computer having to load and initialise all these files, even for simple tasks like saving or accessing a clip. To resolve this issue, I found that creating sub-folders within the 'Captures' folder based on the year (e.g., 2020, 2021, etc.) significantly reduced the strain on the disk drive and as a result, the issue was no longer present.

2. Creating a new user account: Adding a new user account acts like a fresh installation with all the apps and Windows services already applied from the previous user. This method requires setting up apps, personalising Windows, and transferring user data and configurations.

3. Removing the Xbox Game Bar completely: This involves opening PowerShell as an administrator and executing the command "Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers Microsoft.XboxGamingOverlay | Remove-AppxPackage." Although this removes the ability to use in-game overlay, recording, clipping, and screenshotting features, it may restore stability to the computer.

Note: The information provided is based on personal experience, trial and error, and research on resolving the issue. Different fixes may work for different individuals, so it's important to find the solution that works best for your specific situation.

Please, if you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
@YoungDNL

I have a question: are you able to cite any references or sources regarding the information you presented?

I am asking the question because the your original post is, for the most part, characteristic of an AI generated document.

YoungDNL

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
@YoungDNL

I have a question: are you able to cite any references or sources regarding the information you presented?

I am asking the question because the your original post is, for the most part, characteristic of an AI generated document.
Hey Ralston,

I understand your concern about this having AI characteristics as today everything & anything may contain content that's AI generated.

The information I pulled regarding what the service does was from Minitool: (https://www.minitool.com/lib/state-repository-service.html)
I did this to provide some background as to what this service does as I personally did not know when encountering this issue at the time. Hence I wanted to provide knowledge for someone who does not know and is on the same boat.

As for the issue & cause, I've worked with information I experienced with my personal rig whilst trying to resolve the issue. I knew the pattern of when it would occur and for roughly how long. So this information was first hand.

For all troubleshooting methods I've mentioned that have failed and temporarily fixed the issue was through general research, I wanted to mention those to help with the trial and error process. They come up as top results from a google search which includes Reddit / Forums & Websites.

(https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsins...rvice_host_state_repository_service_randomly/)
(https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/77h5mi/service_host_state_repository_service/)
(https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...rcentage/541ab4a3-832d-422a-998f-4e09948ef702)
(https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/fix-high-cpu-usage-by-state-repository-service/)

For the solutions I've mentioned that fixed my issue (1 & 3) in particular, were again from my own troubleshooting and general research.
(https://superuser.com/questions/1782270/how-do-i-uninstall-the-xbox-game-bar) This link provided the power-shell command.

Solution 2 was achieved through Microsoft support, This was a live chat with a representative that helped me look at the problem. We managed to come up with one solution which in this case was creating a new local user account.

I wanted this thread to be as detailed as possible, yes I included fancy vocabulary and extra detail but that is mainly for presentation purposes and ease of understanding. I've had a problem with this for as long as I can remember and I don't want anyone suffering the same fate as me, especially when there isn't much information on this online.

Hope this clears the air.

Ralston18

Titan
Not a matter of "clearing the air".

Nor "fancy vocabulary and extra detail".... etc..

Yes. AI is creeping into lots of published content. With and without acknowledgement of that fact.

Even with after the fact references and citations your post is highly AI generated and quite well beyond AI "characteristics".

And thus not your work.

Closing thread accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts