May 25, 2022
I have an i5 11400 paired with a GTX 1650 Super,
Before,I had a stock intel cooler installed and I noticed that as the summer came,
The temperatures of the CPU started to touch 100 degrees C as I live in a hot region..
So I decided to upgrade to an aftermarket cooler and bought the Cooler Master Hyper H410R RGB, but after installing it,
I noticed that the CPU throttled to 0.8 GHz under load,I tried to figure out the problem and found that it was not my CPU but TMPIN0 on the motherboard (which I'm assuming is the CPU socket) which reaches really high temps under load and causes throttling,I plugged in the stock cooler back and realized that the problem was gone with the stock cooler, I'm really annoyed cz of it as I cannot use the stock cooler either nor do I wanna get these heavy throttles under load with my other cooler,
Can anyone please help with this?
A reply would be appreciated

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Please post more system specs, such as:
-motherboard make and model, so others can look up what the VRM looks like.
-chassis make and model, plus fan setup, to get an idea of the airflow situation.

It sounds to me like the Intel stock cooler was just managing to keep the motherboard's VRM from thermal throttling, which causes power throttling to the cpu, because it's not getting enough power.
FYI: The Hyper H410R isn't really an upgrade over the stock cooler either.

I have an i5 11400 paired with a GTX 1650 Super,
Before,I had a stock intel cooler installed and I noticed that as the summer came,
The temperatures of the CPU started to touch 100 degrees C as I live in a hot region..
So I decided to upgrade to an aftermarket cooler and bought the Cooler Master Hyper H410R RGB, but after installing it,
I noticed that the CPU throttled to 0.8 GHz under load,I tried to figure out the problem and found that it was not my CPU but TMPIN0 on the motherboard (which I'm assuming is the CPU socket) which reaches really high temps under load and causes throttling,I plugged in the stock cooler back and realized that the problem was gone with the stock cooler, I'm really annoyed cz of it as I cannot use the stock cooler either nor do I wanna get these heavy throttles under load with my other cooler,
Can anyone please help with this?
A reply would be appreciated
The speed curve setting for your cooler's fan may need to be reset. How are you controlling the speed of the Cooler Master's fan? Is it connected to your motherboard's cpu fan 4 pin connector? Are you using bios settings to control the fan's speed or software that loads when Windows loads? Do either of these provide an option to automatically test the cpu fan and establish a recommended speed curve? If yes, you could run that and see if there's an improvement.

May 25, 2022
Please post more system specs, such as:
-motherboard make and model, so others can look up what the VRM looks like.
-chassis make and model, plus fan setup, to get an idea of the airflow situation.

It sounds to me like the Intel stock cooler was just managing to keep the motherboard's VRM from thermal throttling, which causes power throttling to the cpu, because it's not getting enough power.
FYI: The Hyper H410R isn't really an upgrade over the stock cooler either.
The CPU temps have dropped alot after installing the H410r (from 90-100 to 55-70 at max),
The mobo is a Biostar H510-M(choosing that was a mistake though) I have a redragon casing with 4 case fans(one on top,one in the back and two at the front) ,the air flow seems fine to me..
On stock cooler,there's no power throttle as I ran some stress tests and there was no power throttling

Last edited:
May 25, 2022
The speed curve setting for your cooler's fan may need to be reset. How are you controlling the speed of the Cooler Master's fan? Is it connected to your motherboard's cpu fan 4 pin connector? Are you using bios settings to control the fan's speed or software that loads when Windows loads? Do either of these provide an option to automatically test the cpu fan and establish a recommended speed curve? If yes, you could run that and see if there's an improvement.
The cooler's plugged into the CPU fan 4 pin connector on the motherboard,
I control the fan from the BIOS and by running the fan at 100%,the problem gets reduced to an extent but yeah,it's still there
The bios has an option for recommended speed curve but using that didn't fix the problem

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's not that big a difference in the kind of heat loads those 2 coolers can handle. What's separating them is how they function, the design of the chassis, and the fan set up.

What Redragon casing? I can't look it up with just that.
That fan setup sounds like it would benefit a tower air cooler, but not the downdraft type that the stock cooler is. It probably doesn't get that much cool air compared to the former.

Yeah, the downdraft pushes air down, covering a small area around it. The H410R is a more narrow front to back, covering the MOSfets next to the I/O. The top MOSfets look to be the ones overheating.

May 25, 2022
There's not that big a difference in the kind of heat loads those 2 coolers can handle. What's separating them is how they function, the design of the chassis, and the fan set up.

What Redragon casing? I can't look it up with just that.
That fan setup sounds like it would benefit a tower air cooler, but not the downdraft type that the stock cooler is. It probably doesn't get that much cool air compared to the former.

Yeah, the downdraft pushes air down, covering a small area around it. The H410R is a more narrow front to back, covering the MOSfets next to the I/O. The top MOSfets look to be the ones overheating.
The Case model is Redragon Steeljaw GC-608..You can google it

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The Case model is Redragon Steeljaw GC-608..You can google it
Got it.

Huh, this is very much like NZXT's H500 Elite - may even be considered a knockoff. Airflow isn't that great. It could be worse, but it's partially thanks to the 1650 Super's low power use that it isn't.
The 'cheapest' fix, in the long run, is a new and more open chassis.

Do you have a desk fan on hand? A box or pedestal fan may work too.
Remove the side panel of your chassis, and run the fan on high speed aimed inside the PC. Test thermals and power throttling.

May 25, 2022
Got it.

Huh, this is very much like NZXT's H500 Elite - may even be considered a knockoff. Airflow isn't that great. It could be worse, but it's partially thanks to the 1650 Super's low power use that it isn't.
The 'cheapest' fix, in the long run, is a new and more open chassis.

Do you have a desk fan on hand? A box or pedestal fan may work too.
Remove the side panel of your chassis, and run the fan on high speed aimed inside the PC. Test thermals and power throttling.
I'll see what I can do..Thanks man! for replying..
I really appreciate it